I love Carole's tradition of watching all of the movies nominated for Best Picture each year. I can't remember the last movie I saw in the theater. I'm woefully behind on current movies. Luckily, though, this week's task is to select my Ten Favorite Oscar-Winning Films. Here are mine (sans links; I'm feeling lazy today) in my order of preference:
1. My Fair Lady (1964) Oh, when Audrey walks down the staircase dressed for the ball...takes my breath away every time.
2. On the Waterfront (1954) The most famous scene's most famous phrase was a joke when I was a kid. When I finally saw the film, though, I was flabbergasted by intensity and sorrow of the scene, and I've never joked about it since.
3. Gigi (1958) Thank Heaven, indeed.
4. It Happened One Night (1934) My biggest celebrity crush has always been on Clark Gable. So handsome and funny! Claudette Colbert (and her dead sexy legs) is a dish in this movie!
5. Gone with the Wind (1939) See #4 for crush information.
6. The Sound of Music (1965) I have no idea how many times I've seen it. I can sing along to every song, and I melt, melt melt when the Captain and Maria do that lovely little folk dance out on the patio. My, my!
7. The English Patient (1996)I saw this in the theater and was blown away by it. Naveen Andrews's raw
sex appeal didn't hurt!
8. Midnight Cowboy (1969)My buddy Ben insisted that I watch this one. I'm not a huge fan of movies from the late 60s/early 70s, mainly because of production aesthetics that irk me. I quickly moved past that to be impressed by a moving story.
9. The Sting (1973) My ex's uncle gave us this movie when he discovered I'd never seen it. This movie made me realize that I love a good caper!
10. Slumdog Millionaire (2008)I had no idea what to expect when I saw this, and I was surprised and delighted throughout.
How about you? What are some of your favorite Best Picture winners?