Carole's directive for this week is "Ten Things I Wouldn't Want to Live Without". I'm glad I re-read it. First time around, I had "couldn't do without" in my head, and that is a different thing entirely. After spending most of Monday morning discussing what I couldn't do without with Neal, I realized shelter was the only thing. Maybe running water, but I suppose I could make do if I had to, at least for a while.
Anyway, Wouldn't Want to Live Without is so much more fun. So, here goes:
1. My computer. Rupert and I work and play a lot together. I believe that a person should have her own computer, unshared by others who might eff up settings, put fingerprints on a screen, or any number of other unsavory insults. I would not want to live without Rupert all to myself.
2. Yarn. What would keep my hands busy if I couldn't knit or crochet? Oh, I know, I know. There are plenty of other hobbies, but yarn is the supply I would not want to live without.
3. Kindle. Shannenabler as I like to call her convinced me two years ago that the Kindle was nothing short of necessary to an avid reader. As she always is, she was right. I don't use it to the exclusion of books, which some people seem to think is the future. Instead, I prefer it to carrying several books around in my bag when I'm traveling, and it is also much easier to schlep around in my handbag. I would not want to live without my Kindle, or some sort of e-reader.
4. Fluevog Chinoas. These boots take a few minutes to lace and buckle, but if I need to feel like a badass, these are my shoes of choice. I would not want to live without shoes that make me walk a little taller.
5. Compact OED. I may not consult it often, and I suppose I can access the OED online now, but I would not want to live without this dictionary on my bookshelf.
6. A car. Well, technically, I would like to live without a car, but that would mean relocating to a place I know N. would not like. Since I live in the woods, sans a bus or train line that would put me near my campus, I would not want to live without a car.
7. Trixie Trek, my bike. I love to ride my bike. I would not want to live without the freedom and strength I feel when I ride her.
8. Saag paneer. A world without my favorite Indian dish would be a sadder world. I would not want to live without food that makes me as happy as saag paneer does.
9. Addi Clicks. #2 would do me little good sans needles, and the Clicks are my main choice. N. was super generous to me this Christmas and spoiled me with a second set, lace Clicks. Oh, I do love a sharp point! Don't get me wrong, I'm also a fan of the Signature needles, but since I own the Clicks I know I would not want to live without them.
10. Paper. I'm a paper junky. I like handmade paper, handcrafted journals, stationery, composition books. I wouldn't want to live without paper, no matter how much I prefer to write on Rupert.
So you don't think I'm a big meany who would be happy to live without her husband or friends, remember Carole's words: people (and dogs!) are not things!
What things would you not want to live without?
*If I added an 11th, it would have to be my new washer/dryer set. After months without a dryer, I know I prefer not to live without one!