Today's topic is Ten Favorite Holiday Shows.
1. Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular. Rockettes. Live Nativity. It can't be beat. As long as you're going to be in Manhattan for the Christmas show, you might as well make reservations at Rolf's. I love it any time of year, but it is pure magic at Christmas.
2. A Christmas Carol at Hartford Stage. Need to feel festive? This show will get you in the mood, no matter how Scroogey you've been!
3. It's a Wonderful Life. I always get choked up when the town rallies around George at the end of the movie.
4. White Christmas. Snow, snow, snow! This one gets me when the all the former soldiers sing "We'll Follow the Old Man" to the general. What loyalty! What generosity of spirit!
5. A Charlie Brown Christmas. Is there a better Christmas soundtrack? Way back in 1990 when I was first married (the first time) and spending my first Christmas away from my family, my ex and his sisters, seeing how sad and lonely I felt, did the Charlie Brown Christmas dance. It always reminds me of their sweetness to me right when I needed it most.
6. How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Every word, every moment is fantastic.
7. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. One of my mom's favorite holiday songs is "Silver Bells". The show is great, and hearing my mom's favorite song is even better.
8. Miracle on 34th Street. I always like seeing that cynical little girl find her way into a miracle.
9. A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sim. My favorite film version.
10. Santa Claus is Coming to Town. My sister MB will often sing "put one foot in front of the other", which cracks me up. "Eat, Santa, eat" is another of her favorite quotes. Apparently, this show made quite an impact on the Army girls!
Time for a confession: I might be the only person I know who does not appreciate A Christmas Story. I had an ex-boyfriend who loved it, which might be what soured me on it. I just don't get it. Am I going to get drummed out of Christmas now?
Now that I've confessed, tell me what your favorite holiday shows are. Or...what do you NOT like that the rest of the world seems to adore?