This week's list is Ten Things in Your Refrigerator Right Now.
1. Leftover birthday cake. I made carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. The birthday boy plans to have a slice a day until it is either gone or no longer good. I'm trying to refrain from eating any more than the sliver I had yesterday.
2. Homemade catsup/ketchup (I need to investigate the differences/usages of the word). I remember having homemade ketchup at my grandmother's house when I was a kid, but when I asked (on FB) if any of my cousins had her recipe, I was told she, in fact, did not make it. A different grandmother not related to me did. My father feels this is false information. Anyway, one cousin sent me a packet of starch/spices mix, and yesterday I made it. Pretty tasty.
3. Two pints of canned tomatoes. I canned pints of raw tomatoes in their own juice on Sunday, but the two in the fridge didn't seal properly. I may use the whole batch in lentil soup this week just in case.
4. Brita water pitcher. It sure takes up a lot of room, and one of these days we'll get to putting a filter on the faucet. One of these days.
5. Half gallon of Farmer's Cow skim milk. Neal toured some of the farms that contribute milk as part of a work seminar. He's not easily impressed, but he came home impressed at the excellence of the farm. I buy only their eggs, too, although I'm still hoping to get my own chickens to have REALLY local eggs!
6. Leftover pizza. Requested birthday dinner last night was pizza, so pizza it was!
7. Two sweet potatoes. Fall makes me want baked potatoes, and the sweet ones are even tastier!
8. Kalamata olives. I love to toss a few of these on salads.
10. Tube of tomato paste. Hoping to make my favorite tomato soup recipe this week, which needs only a few tablespoons of tomato paste. Tubes of paste last a lot longer than the cans.
How about you? Anything tasty in your fridge today?